by Bruce Dingman (Open as PDF)
As a follower of Jesus, we should always seek God’s guidance as to where He wants us to be employed.
Using your logic is important in making such a decision. Here is a suggested check list:
- Are you passionate about the mission and the future of the organization?
- Knowing what your gifts are in leadership or professionally, and how those fit the needs of the role.
- Seeking counsel from your spouse and other trusted wise advisors. Do they see this as a potential good fit for you?
- What are the ramifications for you and your family if relocation is involved?
- How does the expected compensation fit with your needs?
- Why is there an opening, and if someone was fired why might you be successful when they were not?
- If you fit the culture of the organization or if the culture needs to be changed, would you likely be good at bringing about that change?
- What are the at least mid-term prospects (5-10 years) for you in this role?
And much bigger and more important than logic alone:
- You and your spouse should spend some time in prayer and fasting about this decision
- If the Lord does not seem to be giving you an answer that you should do this, then that is a “no”.
- Maybe you feel you should go further in the candidating process before deciding.
- If you feel the Lord has said “yes”, then go for it
- If you get the job great – and if you do not, maybe the Lord just wanted you to go through the process.
If you would like counsel on this, at no cost to you, feel free to reach out to us. We are here to help.